Dear Everone,

The other day I posted a message about my doctoral dissertation topic:
strength and balance training for persons with stage III PD. I
received 6 messages requesting info on this topic so I thought I'd
share it with all of you here on the network.

My pilot study looked at the effect of a combination of balance and
strength training on balance-ability in persons with stage I-IV PD. In
a nutshell...persons who fell before the training began no longer
experienced falls after 10 weeks of balance and strength training.

From this pilot data I developed an exercise plan for persons with PD.
I formed an exercise group and together we have been working out at a
local health club for 9 months. The exercises involve strengthening
all of the major muscle groups in the body, with special emphasis on
the lower extremities. Some participants also receive balance training
in addition to 3 days of strength training. The ultimate goal for this
exercise group is to make persons as independent and automomous as
possible within the confines of the qym. So far this work has been
very exciting for both the care-givers, volunteers who help me to
train persons, and myself.

The plan for the dissertation is to test which type of training is
most beneficial for developing balance in persons with PD. I am also
looking at how well training spills over into everyday activities in
the home. How long do training benefits last after training is
terminated.?!

Regular exercise needs to be sufficiently intense to promote a
physiological enrichment. How intense exercise needs to be to slow the
progression of neurological conditions remains to be seen. I am very
excited about this study and hope that I can persuade persons to be
subjects and also find volunteers who will help me to train.

I have a hunch that what works for adults, in the way of
strength and balance training, will also be benficial for a great
many persons with PD.

Specific Exercise Guidelines

Train 3 days per week.
Train at 50-80% of maximum (1-3 sets per exercise).
Train all the major muscle groups, especially the lower extremities
(quads, hamstring, tibialis anterior and gastrocnemius).
Warm-up 10-15 minutes on an exercise bike. (cool down after lifting)
Stretch statically before and after weight-trainig.
Get a personal trainer to show you the exercises and monitor your
progress on a chart.

There are many more guidelines, too many to post here, but this will
give you a basic start. I will continue to post messages here Re
exercise and PD. I'm looking for an article on Physical Activity and
Mortality in PD- through Inter Library Loan.

Mark