Warren, thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear of your father's
recent decline.  It seems to me that the nature of this disease is that of
a less than consistent progression.  It also seems to me that the doctors are
at as much a loss as we caregivers, when it comes to explaining or predicting
events that just happen with no warning.  The human brain is a magnificent and
mystifying thing, and we may never be able to explain its many complexities.
I have seen similar events happen in my mother's life of late, but she is
still able to be in the home, due to excellent in-home care.  I keep nagging
her to do exercise of some sort, but as you point out, sometimes they are
just not capable or willing to expend the effort necessary.  My best to you
and your father. Thanks also to the many contributing members of this wonderful
list.
Lynn Lowe