Jim Cordy wrote:

JC" Thanks for your note encouraging people to write their elected officials.
  " me ask a couple of straight foward questions.  Who are you and what is your
  " connection with Parkinson's?

I am simply another victim of Parkinsons who has been on this list,
mostly lurking, for more than a year, almost from the beginning. I have
found it to be very helpful. I was diagnosed about three years ago. I am
very fortunately a mild case, and I have progressed slowly, if at all.
In fact there is some question whether that is really my problem. Two
neurologists say yes definitely, and the third says he doesn't think so.
All three are distinguished neurologist who have a lot of experience
with Parkinsons. I do respond to Sinemet and Parlodel, which was proved
by being deprived twice for a couple of weeks. I guess we have to go
with the majority opinion of 2-1. There have been a couple of other
medical problems which cloud the issue. I am 72 years old, retired since
1970, married with two grown sons.

Last year when the Udall bill was first introduced, I put a letter which
I had written by myself, as a sample on the Parkinsn List, and on the
Prodigy Medical Support Bulletin Board, and on the Relaynet Medical
Conference, and on the Fidonet Medical Echo and Neurological Echo. I
encouraged people to write to their congressmen to urge them to
support the Udall bill. I offered to tell them their congressmen's
internet addresses, if they have one, and their FAX numbers.

About forty Senators and about forty representatives have internet
addresses. The numbers increase steadily. Almost all of them, but not
all, have FAX machines. The people on this list obviously can send
internet messages. People on the Relaynet BBSs can send FAX messages to
Congressmen with a local call to their BBS and no charge for the
service. People on Prodigy and AOL, and probably Compuserve and other
commercial services, can send FAX messages with only a local call.

Did you ever hear of the young boy who received more than 11,000,000
(yes --- eleven-million !!) get-well cards in a hospital in England?
Largely because of publicity on the Internet. This was verified by the
Guiness Book of Records. Then they cancelled the category. If we work at
this a little bit, we can make them pass the Udall bill, or else they
will smother in the messages.

I have access to a couple of sources where I can look up the Internet
and FAX numbers. There have been a lot of changes recently, as you know,
unless you have been vacationing on Mars. The people that record this
information are having a tough time catching up. If that fails me, I can
make a local call to the Congressman's office.

From: [log in to unmask]

 * SLMR 2.1a * McLean Virginia USA  Fri 01-20-95 4:43 pm
---
 * KMail 3.00y