Hi Folks,

Talking about real INTERESTING developments (Colman Mullin's
report on the GDNF news release), I read a very exiting report
yesterday relating to two previous posted contributions (Alan
Bonander's "Somatix" - 25 Jul 1994 and Jon Baltos's "Possible new
treatments for PD" - 2 Sept 1994).  The report was published in
Science (During, M.J., Naegele, J.R., O'Malley, K.L. & Geller,
A.I. Long-Term Behavioural Recovery in Parkinsonian Rats by an
HSV Vector Expressing Tyrosine Hydroxylase. Science 266, 1399-1403, 25
November 1994) and investigated a therapeutic approach whereby
endogenous striatal cells are converted into levodopa producing
cells.  Efficient behavioural and biochemical recovery was maintained
for a year after gene transfer in rats. This is the good news.

The bad news (according to the authors) is that the vector
system used needs to be improved, as wild type HSV-1 virusses may be
included in the packaging system. Also, a decrease in long term
expression is reported, which may also be due to properties in the
vector system.

Vector systems are, however, developed and refined continuously, and
the prospects of overcoming this hurdle, even with current technology,
is excellent.

Other factors may limit the onset of clinical trials in
the very near future, such as the potential interference of TH-
expression in striatal projection neurons with other brain functions.

The approach to the problem, though, is sound, and we can
only encourage the  researchers to continue their investigation!

Hans

Hans van Zyl                      |
Cell Physiology Group             |      [log in to unmask]
Irene Animal Production Institute |      Tel: (27) 12 672 9261
Private Bag X2                    |      Fax: (27) 12 665 1604
IRENE 1675, South Africa          |