        Hi all,

        New to this list I thought I'd respond to Barbara's invitation to
introduce myself. My name is John Eady, I work in a cancer research laboratory
and my Dad has PD. One of his sisters
also has PD and 2/5 siblings seems to be a mighty big coincidence, especially
since my reading about PD indicates it does not seem to be linked to a specific
genetic defect. Am I wrong about this, and is the condition heritable in some
cases ?

        As a kid I remember noticing on family walks on a Sunday that Dad didn't
swing his left arm freely as he marched ahead of us with the dog, but no-one
thought anything of it.  A few years later tremor developed in his thumb and
PD was diagnosed a couple of years thereafter. He's now been on Madopar and
Sinemet (if I remember correctly) for the past 5 or 6 years, but recently he's
been in and out of hospital for a whole series of tests which have shown that
he also has
        a) fibrosing alveolitis
        b) osteoporosis
        c) scarring on the liver ?! : he's always also asked if he's a heavy
drinker (which he isn't)
        d) abnormally large red blood cells (intriguingly enough my brother also
has these in blood tests)

        He has been told that these are all unrelated conditions and that there
is no one underlying cause, but I just wondered whether anyone else has come
across this strange set of conditions or could shed any light on them. Thanks

        John Eady ([log in to unmask])