Hi!
I read your note regarding your father and his swallowing problem.  You
mentioned that he feels as if there is  water stuck in his throat and that
when he tries to cough it out, he is unable to.  You said that you were also
able to hear it in his throat.
There are recesses or pockets which are located in the throat which can often
hold liquids if the throat muscles were not strong enough to push them down
into the esophagus and eventually into the stomach. Your father is most
likely feeling the liquids in these pockets and he is probably also feeling
them on his vocal folds which are located in his "voice box" above his lungs.
 If as you say he does not have a strong enough cough then the liquids may be
entering his lungs.  This could cause pneumonia.  I strongly recommend that
you ask your physician or neurologist for a consult to see a Speech Language
Pathologist.  He/she can make a proper recommendation for safer swallowing.
I would be happy to answer any further ?'s regarding this matter.
Good wishes to you and your father.
Judy Annesley
Speech Language Pathologist