You wrote:

>This message is to Dr. Bob Fink in particular, and to anyone else who
might
>have suggestions.  I'm a novice here, and not sure about the protocol
for
>posting public messages.
>
>Dr. Fink:  On 1/27th you wrote that "normal pressure hydrocephalus" can
also
>cause PD-like symptoms and can be ruled out with a CT scan.
>
>Could you elaborate?  What is 'normal pressure hydrocephalus'?  What
might
>treatment be if this condition exists?
>
>You wrote in response to the dialog about my 76 yr old father who has a
>lifelong condition of Essential Tremor (Familial Tremens) and recent
guarded
>diagnosis of PD.
>
>I say guarded because the neurologist expressed some uncertainty but
>prescribed Sinemet at my father's persistence.  He has been taking the
>Sinemet for 6 months (in addition to propanolol) and seems to have
better
>balance. Otherwise I am having difficulty detecting significant change.
>
>"Leg lock" and muscular weakness are his most frequent complaints.  His
arm
>and hand tremor is almost violent at times.
>
>Getting my dad to see a physician is a tremendous ordeal - physically
and
>emotionally.  He has little confidence that modern medicine can help
him.  My
>guess is that getting him a CT scan would be nigh impossible.
>
>Thanks for any responses.
>
>Val Mitchell

Val:  Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) is a condition that is
characterized by:

1. Dementia
2. Gait disturbances (often Parkinsonian-like)
3. Urinary incontinence

Some of the symptoms are indistinguishable from those of PD.  The
diagnosis is made by CT (or MRI) scan which shows enlargement of the
brain ventricles out of proportion to any brain atrophy present.  This
test is followed by a "cisternogram" in which a radioactive isotope is
injected (through a spinal puncture) into the spinal fluid, and then a
series of scans are taking over a 48-72 hour period.  In NPH, the
isotope penetrates the ventricles but does not rapidly leave the system
(as is normal).  The treatment of this condition is a surgical procedure
called a shunt, which places a small tube into the ventricle, and
conducts it into the abdominal cavity (all of the hardware is under the
skin and the operation is relatively simple) where it is re-absorbed.
The results can be dramatic in the form of reversal of the dementia,
gait disturbances, and other symptoms.  This operation is a fairly
"standard" one and is available wherever neurosurgeons exist.  The
essential part, however, is making the diagnosis.

Anyone with dementia, or other progressive neurological symptoms,
deserves such an evaluation.  The CT/MRI scans are painless, and the
spinal puncture (for the cisternogram) is minimally uncomfortable in
good hands.  Good luck!

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"