To listmembers

I am new to the Parkinsn list. I am a neurosurgeon, Professor and Chairman of
the Department of Neurosurgery at New York University Medical Center. Before
that I was Professor of Neurosurgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester,
Minnesota.  I understand that there has been considerable interest in the
surgical treatment of Parkinsonism lately and on this list. Perhaps, I can be
of service to the list members by providing some objective information which
some members may find useful.

I have done stereotactic surgery for movement disorders in general and for
Parkinson's disease in particular since 1974. I refined the procedures from the
experiences of Professors Guiot in Paris (Suresnes)and Gillingham in Edinburgh
who had a collective experience of over 3000 cases. Specifically, I have done
many stereotactic thalamotomies for tremor. During the past year I have been
doing pallidotomies for rigidity, bradykinesia and drug induced dyskinesiae.
Both of these are good operations provided that the cases are well selected and
the surgery performed carefully and with precision. Each procedure has specific
indications, benefits and limitations. Neither will "cure" Parkinson's disease
but improve the quality of life substantially in well selected cases.

Both procedures are done under local anesthesia with some sedation in order to
evaluate the effects of lesioning and to alert the surgeon as to any adverse
effects. Both should be done with microelectrode recording so that the lesion
can be placed precisely to maximize the therapeutic effect and minimize the
risk. Both procedures involve protocols for pre and postoperative testing.

Patrick J. Kelly, MD
Joseph P. Ransohoff Professor and Chairman
Department of Neurological Surgery
NYU Medical Center
530 First Ave.
New York, NY 10016

FAX: 212-263-8031
email:[log in to unmask]

\   Patrick Kelly, MD   \  Internet: [log in to unmask]  \
\   NYU Medical Center  \  Phone: (212)-263-8002               \
\   New York, N Y       \                                      \