I enjoyed this exchange very much.  Thanks to Marcy and Anne.

I also want to ask for help from anyone out there who can give me some
information that will help me with a presentation I'm scheduled to give
on Friday the 17th (am) to our Senate Committee on Writing.  They are
mainly doubters on just about everything concerning students. and
I'm supposed to tell them about writing policies in North American
Univeristies . . . in 10 miutes. I have of course been making excellent use
of Roger Graves's book and the one edited by Cathy Schreyer and Laurence
Steven.  Thanks to you three and all the others who made these publications
available.
I have a couple of questions tho,partly to satisfy my own curiosity and
partly because I hope my 10 mins in the sun or firing line will lead to
other opportunities to discuss these issues here.
1.  does anyone know of any study that will help support the idea that
teachers of writing do a better job, on the whole ,if they have some
training in writing pedagogy?
2.  Roger mentions in his book that there were,at the time of his study,
only 4 of the 54 English Univs in Canada that had WAC programs..well he
actually says that require students to take "writing -intensive" courses. I
ssume these were York and Laurentian, and maybe Waterloo? What others are
there in Canada? I'd especially like to know if there are any that have a
Writing Program Administrator who co-ordinates the whole WACc or WID
program, who is a tenured or tenure -track faculty member.  That's the
model I'd like to see here.
3. Perhaps this question should go directly to Doug Brent,but I can't put
my hand on his e-mail address so you are all getting it.  One member of this
committee will I expect tell us that what we need at MUN is what was done at
Calgary 20 years ago.  I know that things have changed a lot, and would love
even a couple of sentences about why you changed and what you like better
about what you are doing now.
4.  Last question: who besides SFU,UBC, McGill and Waterloo (and Laurentian
?) could be said to have grad programs in Rhetoric/comp?

I'm sure I should have some of this info here, but I can't put my hand or
memory on any of it just now. Thanks for any help.  Phyllis Artiss