Hello,

        Another question for you to consider.  This one comes from a
perceived need in our school to do more to  promote literac--,to move it
from the "backburner", so to speak, and to make it the highest priority in
our teaching and learning.  To begin, we want to come with A definition of
literacy for a variety of readers (educators, parents, students,
administrators, general public).
        I could use your help.  How would you define literacy?

        Second request (as totaly optional to answer as the first)- We are
looking for ideas to promote literacy in the home, community, classroom,
school,across the curiculum, etc.  I have included at the end a list of
what a few of us have brainstormed so far.

Do you any any other suggestions to add?  The biggest problem we have in
our area is that parents we need to reach do not come into our school ( for
such  reasons as bad personal memories of high school; embarrassment of
their own literacy skills, and the intimidatiing asmosphere of the school
itself).
 Are you aware of any initiatives going on in public school that you feel
are very successfully  at promoting literacy?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you

Susan MacDonald

LITERACY INIATIVES:

        * a "No-TV Week", books only
        * a "no-pencil/chalk" day in school (promoting reading and oral
literacy)
        * Parent-Volunteer Program (tutors to help with reading)
        * Home-Room Moms( involving parents in the school)
        * video tape literacy moments to send home
        * personal contact with each parent
        * book exchanges
        * evening sessions on "how to deal with adolescents"
        * high school students teach elementary science,math,
reading,(Excellence Iniative)
        * public service announcments( sudents talking about books, "Have
            you Read a Good Book Lately?"
        * Frameworks training (Inservice on reading/writing for
teachers/paarents)
        * book drive
        * parents as partners in reading - program "Litracy in Learning"
offered to parents (developed by PEI)
        * get other councils involved (newsletters/ P.D.)
        * MuchMusic Video series on reading ( will be listed in resource
material)
        * Bookabrations- month long celebration of boooks
        * recorded stories on walkmans
        * students are never too old to be read to
        * literacy group for parents for preschool At-Risk students to be
given at places of work (mill, etc.)
        * invite parents to inservices
        * Authors- in -The -School Program (also,bring in local readers and
writers in community)
        * Video by Jim Trelease, a journalist , on literacy and the home
            (*highly recommended- more info. will be gotten by Dawn W-M)
        * Read- alouds ( provide drives for parents and baby sitting service)
        * Family breakfast instead of Xmas Concert and part of program is
to have parents and students read their own writing or an exerpt from a
favorite books
        * get local businesses involved in literacy -workers are paid for
volunteer time in school
        * Friday night Prime time ( read-a-thon sleep-over in gym)

Susan MacDonald ([log in to unmask])