You're asking a very difficult question that on the surface looks simple.

Literacy is such a contextual and historical phenomenon.  WE tend to
forget that what we mean by literacy is historically variable.  Earlier
in the century in some contexts it meant the ability to read certain
kinds of texts. NOw, of course, it means much more.  WRiting, even
analytic writing is included in some defintions of literacy.  I don't
think it will be long either before the ability to use computers will
be included even in "common sense" definitions of literacy.

Literacy is contextual too.  In other words, different kinds of contexts
have very different literacy demands. One of the first questions I always
ask myself in whatever context I am in is -- what does literacy mean
here. So what are the speaking, reading, writing and listening practices
that constitute literacy in this particular situation.  The kinds of
communication practices that constitute literacy for doctors for example
thatn the kinds of communication practices needed by technical writers or
by workers in the service industries.

The important thing is not to come up with a reductive or quantitative
defintion of literacy.

Also regarding your list--it has some great ideas.  But you and I are now
engaged in a high level literacy engagement--through computers.  I don't
see that kind of literacy reflected in your list.  But many people are
now reading and writing through screens--especially (and perhaps
unfortunately) young males. I say unfortunately, of course, because I
would also like to see young women involved. I saw one study for example
that discovered,
much to the researcher's amazement, that one group of young males who
appeared not to be reading and writing at all were heavily engaged in
Bulletin boards and newsgroups.  They were reading and writing late into
the night.

I suspect broad based literacy programmes are going to have to get more
involved in computer literacy projects.  The problem will be to get more
access for more people.  This might not be a problem in the long
run--look for example at all the popular culture events that are starting
to move on line.  For example, I gave my 4 the year students a "zine"
assignment last year.  "Zines" are impromptu, wonderful diverse, and
soemtimes preverse publications that individuals or groups have been
producing for the last 10 years or so.  My students informed me that most
of this kind of publication was now happening on-line!!

Good luck with your project--it's a very difficult one.

Cathy Schryer