On Fri, 17 Feb 1995 09:40:42 -0500, James Brown wrote:

I wanted to say how much I agreed with what Roberta--and others on CASLL--have
said about tests of writing competency.  They aren't meaningful measures of
students general communicative abilities in writing--probably tell you more
about how good students are at taking time-limited tests.  They can't really
replicate the kinds of extended writing processes (reading-researching,
notetaking, drafting etc.) which are typically required in the disciplines at
university.  The resources devoted to administering and marking the test
could be a lot more productively devoted to teaching--ie. giving all students
more and better designed opportunities to write (assignments) and more and
better feedback on their attempts at writing in the disciplines they've
chosen to study.

James

--
James Brown