Catherine--Thanks for your message and observations--most helpful.
Two Writing Lab instructors--Mark Henderson and I--are not only
tutoring in the Lab(we see about 1/5 of the student body a year,for
multiple visits)but also meeting with profs about ways of using
writing, etc.  In March we are planning a short workshop on responding
to student writing and have just received funds to put on our first
two-day retreat-workshop(probably in May).
    The administration is currently reviewing our positions and the
logistics of WAC.
        Question:  How important is it that WI courses have limited
enrolment?  Several profs of big intro classes are doing good things
with ungraded writing, short essays, etc.  But right now we have too
many courses marked WI and the label is rather meaningless.
                Roberta
Encoding: 75 TEXT