The problem with refusing to define literacy because of a concern for
reductionism is that this strategy can effectively freeze out of the
public discourse those very people who have a complex, contextual concern
for that elusive bag of practices and knowledges that we group under the
term literacy.

So, if literacy was reading (cf. Latin root word Lectere [?], French word
lire, etc.) and it now also involves its dialectical counterpart, writing,
then let's assume that literacy involves reading and writing (which both
broadens and narrows it in scope from the Southam report's functional
literacy).

I'll venture the following definition:  literacy is the ability to read
and write as appropriate to one's day to day needs and desires and the
confidence to learn to expand that ability as one's day to day needs and
desires change.  Of course, this sounds a bit hokey for schools which are
supposed to be preparing young people for the information future, or what
have you, so I guess that I haven't really answered the question.