See below

On Mon, 27 Feb 1995, Roberta Lee wrote:

> Catherine--Thanks for your message and observations--most helpful.
> Two Writing Lab instructors--Mark Henderson and I--are not only
> tutoring in the Lab(we see about 1/5 of the student body a year,for
> multiple visits)but also meeting with profs about ways of using
> writing, etc.  In March we are planning a short workshop on responding
> to student writing and have just received funds to put on our first
> two-day retreat-workshop(probably in May).
>     The administration is currently reviewing our positions and the
> logistics of WAC.
>         Question:  How important is it that WI courses have limited
> enrolment?  Several profs of big intro classes are doing good things
> with ungraded writing, short essays, etc.  But right now we have too
> many courses marked WI and the label is rather meaningless.
>                 Roberta

WI courses need either limited enrolments or support for faculty. Support
can come in various ways--perhaps a 1/3 course credit for the instructor;
perhaps peer tutors available; whatever works.  But if the workload gets
too heavy for instructors -- especially in these times of overwork, they
will either swiftly or  slowly drop the writing component.