Susan, about your request for literacy activities:  I've been waiting for
Anne Hunt to talk about the book exchange she got going in her
kindergarten last year, but if she won't tell, I will . . . I may have
the details wrong, so Anne, correct me if I do.  But as I understand it,
the kids in her class took books home to read with their parents (more
likely, to have their parents read to them.)  Accompanying each book was
a notebook in which parent & child were to write their reactions to the
book -- basically telling what they did or didn't like about it.  These
notbeook entries then went home with the next kid who took the book
home.  So parents & kids not only got to read the books, they got to read
what other people thought about it, too.

I think that activity promotes about a zillion different things having to
do with literacy.  It gets the parents and children thinking and talking
about the book they just read; it gets people writing; it embeds the
reading of the next book into several ongoing conversations (the one
between each parent and child as they think about how _this_ book
compares with the last one, and the one between the people in the class
who've read this book, to name two); and it dramatizes the fact that
reading, writing, and having opinions about books is something
_everybody_ can do & is entitled to do.  I thought it was a terrific
idea.  I keep trying to figure out ways to suggest it to my daughter's
kindergarten teacher.

So, Anne, how did it work out in practice?

Marcy Bauman
UM-Dearborn