Jesse:  For the past two years I've been working with German performance
records describing security precautions at various kinds of civic
performances--crowd control, safeguards against fire, riots, pickpockets,
etc.--and I have not yet encountered anything to suggest that the
authorities were worried about the danger of putting a condemned man
on a public stage.  You can read about such practices in Suetonius,
but I have never heard of any such thing in late medieval Europe.  Sounds
like a bit of a whopper to me.  One place you might check, however, would
be the collection of translated records compiled by Peter Meredith
and John Tailby.  I recall a story (from Spain) about an actor playing
Christ being stabbed to death by his enemies during a performance.
They may have other examples of accidental or homicidal fatalities
on the stage, if not outright executions.  After you track down the
source of this rumor, please let us know what you find out.
--steve wright