Edward,

are some things we do for our 76 year old father:

1.  Once a week my sister takes him for a short drive.  He can't tolerate a
long one.  She brings her mother or father-in-law along for company.  They
explore back country roads and talk about the weather and getting old.

2.  Once a week my brother drives him to the library.  They argue about
politics all the way there and back.

3.  Once a week I drive him down to the town and we stroll together - around
the school track, or up and down the main street, or around a residential
block.  He likes the arm-in-arm physical and emotional support.

4.  My siblings and I try to walk together once a week to talk about our
shared responsibility, to  conjure up new strategies to help all of us cope,
to laugh and cry, etc...

5.  I cook a one dish casserole for my father each week.  He gets quite a few
nutritious meals out of it and the consistency is such that he is able to eat
it with a spoon.  Let me know if you'd like the recipe.  : )

6.  Speaker phone, velcro-close sneakers, touch sensitive lamp, motorized
recliner chair, grab bars all over the place, long handled shoe horn,
bendable straw in a travel mug,

7.  He wears a sleeveless light-weight nylon ski vest for warmth - easier to
put on/off.

8.  A cheery home health care aide visits 1 hour each weekday  to help with
shaving, manicure, haircut, make his bed, wash dishes, put out the day's
medications, make lunch, provide company and stimulation, etc.  We went
through our local Office for the Aging (I'm rural upstate NY) to get him a
reduced rate - I think $5/hour thru Medicare.   Also, through this office and
for a modest fee, he has a Shopper who delivers groceries to him each week.

9.   My father lifts hand weights and walks on a treadmill.

10.  We just bought a book recommended by fellow listmember John Cottingham.
  "Parkinson's Disease:  The Complete Guide For Patients And Caregivers" .
 My father has been reading it intently; I haven't been able to get my hands
on it yet.

Perhaps our strategies aren't right for you, but they might give you ideas.
 I hope others respond publicly to your message.  I'm looking for more ideas
myself.   Despite our efforts, my Dad  still has too much time alone.  Too
much time to think about how difficult his life is.  He needs a wife!  Or a
constant companion.

Good luck.

Val Mitchell
AOL:  Val of NY