---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 09:20:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: yarborough joan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: improving on/off periods

My husband was recently put on a regimen of vitamins and minerals to build
him up before having pallidotomy surgery. The neurosurgeon said that he
always treats PD patients with serotonin supplementation therapy and said
the neurologists "just don't get it"...that they need to treat the
depression in PD to get the patient feeling better so that they can
participate in their own treatment.

Well, after only a week on this regimen, he felt soooo much better that he
seemed like a new person. He does not have that "poor me" victim attitude
and depression. The doctor recommended that he take magnesium with malic
acid (for sleep problems) and a diet rich in tryptophan. That is turkey,
nuts, bananas, yogurt, milk and ginger. He even recommended a banana/frozen
yogurt milkshake every night before bed. With that, he takes a vitamin B-50
complex. The doctor also prescribed Prozac (antidepressant).

With this regimen, he doesn't notice as much off-on as before and has a lot
more energy.

Blessings.