TO All
Over the past two months many messages on this listserv have advocated
exercise for people with Parkinsons. Other messages have asked how to
find a suitable program. Mark Hirsch has certainly stirred up a great
deal of  interest on the Parkinsn List--- he says he has received 56
email replies  todate.

I have already 'put my 2cents worth' into the discussion but exercise  is
such an important factor in the well-being of Parkinsonians that I
want to make some other points.

The first is for Joe Irr:-I thought Dupont was pretty much out of the
booklet business, see the last 3 paragraphs.
The second is for Anne Burleigh:- You are right, people need the
stimulation of a group. I would like to add that exercising alone is not
only depressing  it could be dangerous if your balance is poor.
My third comment is directed to the person in charge of SNOW:-)  Enough
already! !   We have had 274 cm  of snow in St John's this winter and  I
am a prisoner in my home!

For years professionals and patients have said that exercise is second
only to medication in achieving a good quality of life for the Parkinson
patient. A  thesis  (MA - PhysEd), based on interviews with members of
our Newfoundland exercise class, came to the same conclusion.  Mark's
program of strength and balance training seems to have a positive effect
on people with Parkinsons.  The evidence in piling up and I expect that
many new exercise programs will be established.

But not every Parkinsonian lives beside a medical centre with a suitable
exercise program. Alternative cost-effective methods need to be developed
to bring education and encouragment to people living in isolated communities.

In the 1980s an exercise  booklet (Keeping Active) was produced by Dupont
Pharmaceuticals and distributed by the Parkinson Foundation of Canada.
In Newfoundland this booklet was  in our patient and family information
package  and copies were made available to health care professionals at
Parkinson seminars and during Parkinson awareness events.

Regrettably, Dupont allowed 'Keeping Active' to go out of print. In
letters to the company I explained how this booklet had its place in our
chapter's educational programs  and how helpful it was to the  average
Parkinson patient.  My appeals were futile, the booklet was not
reprinted..........

Can things change for the better?   The recent postings to the list give
me hope.  I ask others on this list to express their views on exercise
and to describe the program they follow.
Perhaps all this activity will encourage someone to create a new
Parkinson exercise booklet.

Anne Rutherford  up to my  neck in snow in Newfoundland