We are most appreciative for having learned on this list about the research
on estrogen as it affects women with PD. Since my wife is on estrogen
therapy, and also has PD, we were, of course very interested. With the
material in hand, supplemented by the complete report graciously provided by
Dick Martin, we have explored the subject with our medical advisors.
 In our particular case, with my wife's tendency towards osteoporosis, and als
o due to the fact that she has exhibited no increase in PD symptoms as a
result of the estrogen therapy, she has been advised to continue it.
 We thought it might be worth passing along the information that there is a
significant segment of neurologists specializing in movement disorders who
feel that "all votes are not yet in" on the conflict between estrogen and PD
symptoms. Some are very strongly recommending estrogen to their patients. My
wife's own neurologist sees no reason for her to discontinue estrogen use in
spite of the fact that he respects research like the recent report on
estrogen. Without such research there would be no progress on treatment and cu
res.
 This is not meant to be a confrontational report, but simply a note that
there is another medical viewpoint on the issue. Each case is different and
those who feel they need estrogen for whatever reason, should explore the
issues with those advisors who they most respect for advise in their
particular case.
Jerry Gleason                 ([log in to unmask])