Someone posted a message to me last night or today concerning the
possible relationship between PD and head injury.  I, unfortunately, did
not save the message and said that I had previously posted such a search
result.  I was mistaken; I had posted a head injury search connected
with another disorder on another List.  Below is the result of a MEDLINE
search done today on this subject.  I only found 3 articles
(1985-present) and there is only small association present in these.
For what it is worth; here it is:

 1/L/4
DIALOG(R)File 154:MEDLINE(R)
(c) format only 1995 Knight-Ridder Info. All rts. reserv.

07973041   92111041
  [A case of posttraumatic parkinsonism]
  Takeda M; Okuda B; Tomino Y; Tachibana H; Sugita M
  Fifth Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine.
  Rinsho Shinkeigaku (JAPAN)   Aug 1991,  31 (8) p842-6,  ISSN 0009-918X
Journal Code: DF2
  Languages: JAPANESE   Summary Languages: ENGLISH
  Document  type:  JOURNAL  ARTICLE;  REVIEW;  REVIEW  OF REPORTED CASES
English Abstract
  JOURNAL ANNOUNCEMENT: 9204
  Subfile:   INDEX MEDICUS
  We report a case of a 52-year-old man with posttraumatic parkinsonism.
He
was  admitted to our department because of right-sided hand tremor and
gait
disturbance.  He  had  suffered  from  a  severe  head injury incurred
in a
traffic  accident  with  brief  unconsciousness  6 months before
admission.
Three  weeks  after his injury, tremor and rigidity in the right upper
limb
developed,  and  he  walked  dragging  his right leg. Five months after
his
injury,  he  received  1-dopa therapy, exhibiting a moderate improvement
in
parkinsonian  symptoms. On admission, he was demented to a mild degree
with
masked     face     and    monotonous    speech.    He    presented
with
resting-postural-kinetic  tremor  and  muscle  rigidity  on the right
side.
Cranial CT and MRI showed no abnormality. Inter-peak latencies of waves
III
to  V  of  BAEP  were  significantly  longer in this patient than in
normal
subjects.  This BAEP findings suggested an upper brainstem lesion.
123I-IMP
SPECT  disclosed  decreased  cerebral  blood  flow  in  the  left
thalamus,
bilateral  frontal  and parietal cortices. We diagnosed this case as
having
posttraumatic  parkinsonism. Parkinsonism in the present case may be due
the  involvement of multiple neuronal circuits of the extrapyramidal
system
at the level of the midbrain to the thalamus.  (15 Refs.)
  Tags: Case Report; Human; Male
  Descriptors:   *Head   Injuries--Complications--CO;  *Parkinson
Disease,
Symptomatic--Etiology--ET;    Amphetamines--Diagnostic    Use--DU;
Iodine
Radioisotopes--Diagnostic   Use--DU;   Middle   Age;   Parkinson
Disease,
Symptomatic--Radionuclide   Imaging--RI;   Tomography,
Emission-Computed,
Single-Photon
  CAS   Registry  No.:  0    (Amphetamines);  0    (Iodine
Radioisotopes);
95896-48-3   (iofetamine)

 1/L/5
DIALOG(R)File 154:MEDLINE(R)
(c) format only 1995 Knight-Ridder Info. All rts. reserv.

07879936   92017936
  Prior history of head trauma in Parkinson's disease.
  Factor SA; Weiner WJ
  Department of Neurology, Albany Medical College, NY 12208.
  Mov Disord (UNITED STATES)   1991,  6 (3) p225-9,  ISSN 0855-3185
Journal Code: NIA
  Languages: ENGLISH
  Document type: JOURNAL ARTICLE
  JOURNAL ANNOUNCEMENT: 9201
  Subfile:   INDEX MEDICUS
  The  purpose  of this study was to evaluate the relationship between
head
trauma and Parkinson's disease (PD). A questionnaire was completed by 97
PD
patients  (mean  age  68.6  years,  duration  of  disease 6.4 years) and
64
spouses  acting  as  controls  (mean  age 63 years). Thirty-one PD
patients
reported  head trauma before onset of PD (mean 32.3 years earlier),
whereas
11  controls  reported  head  injury  before completing the survey (mean
26
years  earlier)  (p  less  than 0.05). Twenty PD patients and five
controls
reported head injury associated with alteration or loss of consciousness
(p
less  than  0.05).  Injury occurred a mean of 37.7 years before onset of
PD
and 37.2 years before survey completion in the two groups, respectively.
In
both  of  these  comparisons  we  adjusted the frequencies to eliminate
sex
differences   between   groups.   Comparison   of  new  frequencies
showed
differences that were not significant. However, a trend toward
significance
was  observed  when examining head trauma with alteration of
consciousness.
Other  investigators have reported similar results indicating that
previous
head  trauma  may  be  a risk factor in the etiology of PD. However,
recall
bias  might  have  an  effect  on  the outcome of these studies and this
is
discussed. The relationship between head trauma and PD is still tenuous.
  Tags: Comparative Study; Female; Human; Male; Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
  Descriptors:   *Head   Injuries--Complications--CO;   *Parkinson
Disease
--Etiology--ET; Adult; Aged; Bias (Epidemiology); Consciousness; Middle
Age
; Questionnaires; Retrospective Studies; Risk Factors

 1/L/8
DIALOG(R)File 154:MEDLINE(R)
(c) format only 1995 Knight-Ridder Info. All rts. reserv.

05657021   85273021
  Posttraumatic parkinsonism.
  Nayernouri T
  Surg Neurol (UNITED STATES)   Sep 1985,  24 (3) p263-4,  ISSN
0090-3019
Journal Code: VBJ
  Languages: ENGLISH
  Document type: JOURNAL ARTICLE
  JOURNAL ANNOUNCEMENT: 8511
  Subfile:   INDEX MEDICUS
  Development  of  parkinsonian features following a blunt head injury
in a
37-year-old  man  is described. High definition computed tomography scan
of
the  midbrain  demonstrated low-density lesions in the region of
substantia
nigra.
  Tags: Case Report; Human; Male
  Descriptors:   *Brain   Injuries--Complications--CO;  *Parkinson
Disease
--Etiology--ET; Adult; Head Injuries--Complications--CO