While browsing the alt-drugs-FAQ this weekend, I encountered the following
information.

Archive-name: drugs/alt-drugs-FAQ

14. What are the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)?

   The drugs phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), l-deprenyl
(ElDepryl, Selegiline) and plants containing harmaline (passionflower,
Banisteriopsis caapi and Peganum harmala).  THAT'S IT!  Prozac, MDMA, beer,
wine, cheese, chocolate etc are things you should AVOID when on a MAOI,
they are *not* MAOIs themselves.

The things to AVOID are things I enjoy!  Since many of Parkinson's mainstay
drugs are MAOIs, the avoidance of Prozac seemed strange to me.  I emailed a
researcher at NIH who is studing the effects of hallucinary drugs mixed
with others and asked for her opinion on the efficacy of mixing Parkinson
drugs with Prozac.  Here is part of her response.

Hi John --
        Thanks for contacting me.  Below you will find the summary of the
alt.drugs.  The LSD data are in the process of going to press now; the
others will soon.  The part about what not to combine MAOI's with was good
until they got to not mixing it with Prozac.  Many psychiatrists are
prescribing MAOI's with Prozac, so for what that's worth, it seems to be
relatively safe.

        Thanks for your interest in my work --

                                        Dr. Kit Bonson

I wonder how many PDrs and ETs are enjoying happier lives from mixing the two?
I would like to hear the good and the not so good stories.

John Cottingham           [log in to unmask]
               Located in Sunny Oklahoma City, Okla.USA