          I'm not sure how the exercises you mentioned strengthen the
          upper esophageal sphincter, but you said that the primary
          purpose is to learn to "breathe with your diaphragm."
          Fortunately, breathing with the diaphragm is not something
          most of us have to "learn."  We do it automatically, or else
          we'd be in pretty big trouble.  The diaphragm is the primary
          muscle of inspiration.  Every time we breathe in, we use the
          diaphragm.  Just wanted to clarify a bit of physiology.

          Nancy Solomon