Joan,

As I indicated in an earlier message, there are a number of folks  (my wife
included) in our Parkinson Suppport Group that have problems  with
constipation, Some of the things that have  worked fairly well are herbal
laxatives. My wife has 2 products she uses. Item 1. Herbal Laxative put out
by "Harvest of Nature", which is a tea bag that contains a mixture of Senna
Leaves and Cascara Bark, together with Anis Seed, Roasted Chichory Root,
Cinnamon, and Alfalfa Leaves. Item 2. Smooth Move put out by "Tradition
Medicinals", it also is a tea bag and contains Senna Leaf (Sennoside A & B;
20 mg per cup), Licorice root, cinnamon bark, ginger root, orange peel,
fennel seed, coriander seed and natural orange flavor. We get both of the
above at our local GNC General Nutrion Center) store. GNC also has Cascara
in capsule form if needed. One of the other members has found Colace (stool
soften) helpful. There are generic forms of Colace(Docusate Sodium) which
are much cheaper. One of the gentleman with the most difficulty uses Castor
Oil. It is pretty strong and should be used with caution, he tells us.

Hope this is of some help.

Woody
[log in to unmask] (Woody Schneider)
Gaithersburg,MD