Hello, all. I have a few questions to ask on behalf of my mother, 54,
who was just diagnosed with PD. Her symptoms are mild and hemispheric
--pain/stiffness in left hip and leg, tremor and stiffness in left
hand. Her doctor has prescribed Selegiline, 5 mg twice a day. Her
questions are:

She has been told that taking Selegiline may delay the progression
  of PD. But what possible negative effects could counteract this
  benefit? The medication makes her feel a little "fuzzy" and
  down, so she would rather not take it at this point if there
  are just as many health risks as benefits.

Also, Selegiline is an amphetamine. Might some of its positive
  effects be attributed to this?

The drug insert said there were no food/drink restrictions, but
  the printout from the pharmacy said that there may be adverse
  affects caused by cheese and red wine consumption. Has anyone
  any further information on this?

Thanks for any and all help on these questions. And any other
support/advice/input will be greatly appreciated!

--Kathleen