Dear Marlene, I'm sorry to hear about your brother hope this might help
you some.  Encephalitis is caused by either bacterial or viral means,
causing the tissues of the brain and spinal cord to swell.  This swelling
causes pressure on the brain itself causing increased intercranial
pressure.  This icp can cause headaches, vomiting, decreased conciousness
and even coma.  Treatment of encephalitis is aimed at symptom control and
prevention of further complications.  Antibiotics may be used if
bacterial infections are the cause, otherwise anything that can be done
to prevent further swelling or pressure, reducing the fever, giving
intravenous fluids, keeping the patient calm and quiet, turning and
positioning them to keep them comfortable and to prevent the muscles from
losing tone.  There may be some long term effects after this crisis
period is over, such as weakened muscles, seizures.
        This is a real cut and dried version of encephalitis, its really
hard to talk to someone only in words, I'd much rather sit down with you
and your family and talk face to face but since I can't please ask your
brothers nurses, and physicians to answer your questions.  Most nurses
will be more than glad to explain and to help you understand, the more
you know the better you will be able to help your brother and your family
through this tough period.  Hang in there! If you want to ask any other
questions or just want to talk, you can reach me at [log in to unmask]
 Connie