To:  Bruce McCallum:

Re:  Sinemet, early or late

Dear Bruce (and Listmembers):

I am responding, as promised, to your query of February 16, regarding
the advisability of starting Sinemet early or late, this based on
concerns that Sinemet *may* "hasten the destruction of
dopamine-producing cells".  I queried a neurologist friend of mine, and
below is his response:

------------------------

>>There is disagreement among the experts on whether to begin
Sinemet early or late and it is my impression from reading
both sides that the disease is sufficiently variable that,
unfortunately, no one knows.

Just as the tremor or bradykinesia or imbalance may predominate,
so the rate of progression varies as well.

Based on what I know, Eldepryl acts differently from Sinemet.

As a mono-amine oxidase inhibitor (mild), it is an anti-oxidant
and a study out of Scandinavia a few years back, an autopsy study,
suggested that early Rx with Eldepryl appeared to spare the
pigmentation in the substantia nigra.

My practice is - based on the patient's inclination - to start
ELDEPRYL early and SINEMET later.

But that's just my worm's eye view.<<

Hope that this is helpful.

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"