Hello:

My name is Melony Winkelmann.  I am a high school librarian in Boone, NC.
I have joined this list for information  that may help my Mom, now living
in Salem, Oregon.   She  was diagnosed about 2 years ago with PD.  She
has been falling and breaking bones this year; The hip went first in
early June and the wrist and pelvis in December.  She suffers fairly
serious dementia so must be restrained so she won't be impulsive and do
some repeat pirouettes any time soon.  Her balance is poor, her feet cross
when she walks, and she is unable to remember any direction or warning
given verbally or written.  I took care of her after a long bout with
nursing centers this summer and tried to get a handle on what we had to
deal with.  She is at present in a very good foster care home with my
step-father and a capable, young, experienced  care-giver. My sister
lives nearby.

 She is on
Sinemet 25/250  I believe, and she takes it 3 times a day for rigidity
and bradykinesia.  She doesn't have a problem tremor, but her toes
twitch occasionally. She was on zoloft for depression, but with her
dementia, it is difficult if she is depressed.  She is no longer taking it.

I am interested in your experiences with treatments and drugs.  The
message from Pat Schark mentioning balance problems today caught my eye.
If the drug pramipexole proves to be helpful without too many negative
effects in  helping with balance, I would be very interested.  If we
can keep Mom from suffering another fracture it would be wonderful. She
suffers from sleepiness and chronic constipation as I understand is
fairly common.

I was in touch with a PD patient named Nana (can't recall the last name)
when I was in Salem in September this year.  If you are on this list
Nana, I have not forgotten your words of comfort and encouragement during
that anxious period.  I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you all for your contributions to the list.  I don't know of a PD
support group here, but I am always on the look out for new
developments.  I did read of a protein experiement with mice that looked
hopeful in causing some regeneration of brain cells.  It sounded hopeful
I look forward to the mail each day and hope, as you do, for good news.

Melony Winkelmann