I have been waiting for the topic of free radicals to get some attention from
the PD community. My comments are purely from my own experience....I remained
undiagnosed for over five years while frantically reading and experimenting
with "health food type"remedies to try to fix whatever in heck was wrong with
me. Upon discovering anti-oxidants about 2+ years ago, and taking a high
quality (that translates as expensive) supplement daily, I experienced a
dramatic improvement in both my overall health and my severity of symptoms. I
continue to take anti-oxidants and have added a few additional supplements
(such as high dose Cal-Mag in response to a posting here last month). The
Cal-Mag has improved my sleep patterns which are generally poor. I was
finally diagnosed Oct 93, and now also take the standard early phase, young
onset stuff like Eldypryl, Permax, and Sinemet CR 25/100, which I break
almost in half. I can truthfully say that I have IMPROVED over the last two
years, and even completely drug free do better than I did pre-anti-oxidant.
This is pretty rare for a progressive, degenerative disease. I encourage all
my PD E-mail pen pals to at least give them a try. In fact, I encourage
everyone I know to use anti-oxidants to help guard health against the effects
of a polluted world. I hope to hear more testimony in this department.

Kathie Tollifson