Dear Christina:

I am grateful that you are writing about your grandfather and his experience
with Parkinsonism.  Both for patients and caregivers, Parkinson's Disease is
a wrenching experience, a part of life duplicated in other illnesses, though
Parkinsonism has its own unique features.

As with any dibilitating diseases, it tends to rob one of one's dignity.
That you remember your grandfather so warmly, and that you want to write
about what you remember, both good and bad, is a part of life's experience
that would undoubtedly be useful and even instructive to others.  There's a
lot of confusion about what experiences will be when one is newly diagnosed,
but as time goes on strength of character, humor, and an intelligent
consideration of one's changing condition and altered options are very
important to coping.  But it's always hard.  I'm sure your comments will
help many, including myself.

k.

>I'm new to the list, so here is my intro....
>
>My Grandfather had Parkinson's, and having known him when he was "well" and
>watching him go through the whole thing was really an experience. He died two
>years ago this April, due to complications from Parkinson's. I've only just
>begun to be able to (barely) deal with my feelings, and I've begun writing a
>story about what I remember of him, good and bad times.  I work on it a little
>at a time.
>
>It's pretty hard to even write the above, but I really want to learn more about
>what kind of research is being done and the types of experiences people have
>with treatment and doctors. I've always been very concerned with how sick
>people are treated, and I also hope that learning more about the disease in a
>clinical manner will be a therapeutic experience.
>
>Thank you for reading, and for sharing your knowledge.
>
>-Christina

Mrs. Karin M. Beros, MSO                     [log in to unmask]
International and Area Studies               voice:  (510) 642-8542
Office of the Dean, 260 Stephens Hall        fax:    (510) 642-9466
Mail Code 2300