Hello everyone,
     I would like to introduce myself and join others of you in
expressing what a great resource this information exchange is!  My
69 year old father was diagnosised with PD 12 years ago.  He has
reached a point with his PD where his medication seems to be less
effective.  His neurologist has suggested that he is a "prime"
candidate for a pallidotomy, and he has been seriously considering it
for a couple of  months now.  In reference to earlier comments about what
constitutes a prime candidate for a pallidotomy, I can only guess
that he fits that description  because the medication seems to be
less effective, he is very healthly otherwise, and is now 69 years
old.  He has spoken to two individuals who have had the surgery about
one year ago, and both expressed the fact that they felt their surgeries
were a success.  It is my understanding that both are in the process
of scheduling a second pallidotomy on the other side.
     I was wondering if anyone had any literature references of scientific
journals or peer reviewed information on pallidotomies which were
completed over several years ago.  There was a comment made in the WSJ
article to the effect that some followup studies had been made on
individuals who had undergone the surgery in 1985 and 1986.  Does
anyone have anymore information in this area?
     Thanks to Barbara and all of you who provide such helpful
information!