Dear Karin:  Thank you for your concerned messages.  I too have had Restless
Leg Syndrome for many years - probably since college days - mild and
infrequent.  I began noticing PD symptoms in l986:  micrographia, tremor,
slow typing, expressionless face, and daughters impatient with my slowness
dressing.  I got the usual run around of "arthritis - benign essential tremor
- possible MS."  Nothing much changed until l988 and a neurologist diagnosed
PD.  I quit working that year when I found I couldn't keep up and stress got
to me.  RLS wasn't a big problem at that time.  Mild  exercise and/or leg
massage took care of it.  I coped quite well with PD on Deprenyl 1/2 tablet a
day in a.m., and occasional 25 mg Benedryl for tremor.

I started taking Sinemet CR 25/100 three times a day  last year.  By  fall
the RLS had progressed to a point where I began talking about it with the
neurologist. I stopped Deprenyl and  tried all the stuff mentioned in an
article in "Modern Maturity" -Sept-Oct, the magazine AARP puts out.  The
article is "Night Walkers" written by author Robert Yoakum who suffers from
RLS but doesn't have PD.

None of the usual drugs worked - Klonopin (clonazepam), codeine, Baclofan.
 Sinemet CR worked but I had to start increasing it to cover those
devastating awful shocks and spasms that lasted all night.  So since fall I
have gone from  300 mg levadopa to 500-600 mg which I don't like at all.  I
am of the Less Is Best thinking but cannot adhere to that now and know full
well trouble is just around the corner.

Dopamine agonists seem the way to go.  I tried bromocriptine

                                                                         last
 month but couldn't take it.  My reaction was scarey.  But  each person
differs and a drug can knock one for a loop and cause no side effects in
another.  So I want to try Permax and lower the CR especially at night.  I
often wonder if Sinemet CR aggravates my RLS.

Barbara Yacos