February 24, 1995

Listmembers:

With the flurry of responses to the Wall Street Journal article on
pallidotomy, I think that some are losing sight of what my original
"objection" was concerning this issue.  I do *not* object to the
research, development, and performance of pallidotomy or any other new
procedure for the treatment of Parkinson's Disease or any other serious
and disabling condition.  People like Dr. Kelly in New York are carrying
out vital research and their work should be supported.

The methods for carrying out clinical research (on human beings) are
well-established and have been used for many years.  Many of the great
advances in medicine have come from this kind of work.  Such work is
done mainly in University centers or other large institutions where not
only are there groups of qualified clinical investigators, but there are
groups and committees which oversee the use of human patients in such
research.  The research, when some conclusions are reached, is then
submitted to "refereed" journals, where other similarly-trained and
educated scientists review the procedures and results, and only if such
work has been performed within accepted standards, will the articles be
published.  Dr. Laitinen's work on pallidotomy has been published in the
medical literature, as has the work of others (and I am including the
work of the group at Loma Linda, although I am not totally familiar with
"The American Surgeon", the journal that was cited as the one where Dr.
Iacono's work was recently published and which I have read as well.  I
am not sure that "The American Surgeon" is a fully-refereed scientific
journal such as the "Journal of Neurosurgery" which is one of the major
scientific publications in our field).

What I have objected to in this issue has been the *methods* used by
some individuals in "promoting" pallidotomy in general, and the
procedure as done at a specific institution in particular.  It is, to
me, "testimonializing" to call pallidotomy a "cure" for Parkinson's
Disease, this when the current literature suggests that this is *not the
case*.  A "palliative" operation (makes the patient better for a while)
it may be; but the long-term effect of the surgery, even as done today,
is far from certain.  I believe that people have a right to spend their
own money for a procedure that may help them (provided that they
understand and accept the risks); but I just cannot accept the fact that
some people are "advertising" a procedure which is still going through a
period of scientific investigation, and touting it as a "cure".

Finally, it is my opinion that the most *serious* issue involved in this
situation is the issue of David Devor's "impromptu" poll (the word was
originally used by one of the "advertisers").  I believe that it is
improper for anyone to have given Mr. Devor a "list" of patients who
have had the pallidotomy procedure and allow Mr. Devor, a layperson, to
call them to ask for their opinions, this unless those patients had
expressly agreed to have their names placed on a list available to the
general public.  I do not fault Mr. Devor for "taking his poll"; he is
acting out of love and concern for his wife; I would have probably done
the same.  It is the act of providing this "list" that I feel has
violated a basic canon in medicine, that of confidentiality and privacy;
and this, to me, is the most upsetting thing which I have observed in
this issue.

Let us hope that Aviva Devor (David's wife) will have a good operation
in Loma Linda; my hopes and prayers are certainly with her; but let us
remain cautious and not be too quick to give up the basic "rules" of
clinical research and patient privacy, rules which have allowed medicine
to develop to the place where it currently is.

Best wishes,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"