In article  "Victor K. Heyman" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I am 60 years old and a Stage I PD diagosed last fall.  I'm taking
>nothing at present.

>Living close to NIH, I volunteered for a study and appeared to have but
>accepted (paperwork in the mill.)  The study is 22 months and involves a
>Smith Kline drug which is supposed to be a free radical scavenger  --
>free radicals being brain cell destroyers, I am told.  The study involves
>weekly blood tests and 2-3 spinal taps.  It will be the usual double
>blind test so half the participants will be on placebos.

>Question:  is it sensible for me to be participating in such a test?  How
>much is known about PD and free radicals?

Victor, I found a partial discription of free radical scavengers and here is
what it is:

Radical reactions are involved in cancer, emphysema, and other chronic,
 life-shortening diseases. In fact, radical reactions
appear to be involved in human aging itself, and those micronutrients that
 protect against oxidative stress-such as vitamin
E-are free radical scavengers. Some projects currently under consideration
 include determination of the roles of O3,
cigarette smoke, nitric oxide, and peroxy nitrate in biological tissue damage.
 environmental toxicology and pollutants, and
design of novel radical scavengers.

This is probably why you are a good candidate.

John Cottingham           [log in to unmask]
               Located in Sunny Oklahoma City, Okla.USA