One question concerning town waits that I have had for some time is whether
we can be confident that someone named "Richard le Wayte" was in fact a town
wait, or may just have "le Wayte" as his family name?  Is "le Wayte" a more
trustworthy indication of occupation than simply "Wayte"?  (In Southampton
in 1433, a new group of waits are adopted, and are identified as Richard
March, John Goddislond, and William Goldsmith.  In the 1434 accounts, the
steward pays wages to Richard Wayte, John Wayte and William Wayte.)  I ask
this because such names turn up in deeds, patent rolls, court cases and the
like, with no indication of performance, so the records themselves do not
get printed, according to REED's principles of selection.  Such references
may, however, be very helpful in answering questions like the one I have
about when Southampton had waits and when it did not.  At some times in the
town's history we know it had waits, from council minutes and the like, but
did not pay them wages.  Thus, a lack of reference to them in the steward's
accounts does not mean they did not exist in a particular year.  And should
references to "David le Harpour" and other apparent indications that a
person is a musician or performer be interpreted in the same way as the wait