Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 18:04:15 -0600
From: John Nathan Tolva <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list FICINO <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Hypertext _Shepheardes Calender_

Hi there.

It has been a while since I posted to the group so I'll reintroduce
myself.  My name is John Tolva and I am a grad student in English lit at
Washington University in St. Louis.

My advisor and I are hard at work on a hypertext edition of Spenser's
poem _The Shepheardes Calender_.  This edition, about a third finished,
will include a full facsimile reproduction (Q1), linked access to all
textual variants, and annotations.  In addition, E.K.'s glosses have been
linked to their lemmata in the text of the poem.  We're working on other
features such as a concordance and a Hinman collator-type method of
analyzing different copies of Q1.  Estimated completion date is the end
of summer.  We are editing in the environment known as Storyspace but we
will eventually export it to the WWW for free public access.

For more information please check out my home page at
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jntolva

The page is mostly devoted to the subject of the technology of writing
and how the effects of the printing press, the slow end of scribal
culture, and coterie dynamics changed English literature--with a
discussion of the correlative changes being wrought by today's widespread
computerization.

I'd like to hear your comments including places that I should be linked
to/from and things that I need to discuss more fully.

Thanks.  If you don't have web access my address is listed below.  I can
send you info.

Note: This message has been cross-posted (in slightly altered format) to
the lists ht_lit and H-CLC.  Sorry.

John Tolva
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~jntolva/
(314) 727-7547