To all:

It's 10:15pm pst and moments ago I finished watching the Primetime segment on
Parkinson's, featuring Dr. Iacono at Loma Linda achieving amazingly dramatic
results on a patient on whom he performed a pallidotomy earlier today.

To say I'm filled with emotion would be an understatement.  Initially, as an
early-onset, early-stage parkinsonian, I felt, when viewing the persons shown
with advanced symptoms, as if I were peering over the edge into the deep,
dark abyss that apparently is my future.  Then we were introduced to the
gentleman on whom the operation was to be performed and my heart went out to
him as he was shown in the grip of severe tremor and dyskinesia.  Then, as I
viewed what was shown of the operation, and as it became more and more
apparent that the patient was experiencing unbelievably dramatic and
immediate relief from his symptoms even as he lay there on the operating
table......well, the tears began to flow.

Then we saw the gentleman jog down the hallway in glee (was that from the
operating room?!!) and his feelings of joy and relief were shared by this
viewer and were overwhelming.

I know I'm in the throes of emotion right now, and I know that pallidotomies
must still stand the tried and true tests of full scientific scrutiny and
study, as well as the test of time and what long term effects might be and so
forth, but I also know that tonight I saw on television a man who earlier
today, and for some years prior, was suffering debilitating, crushing,
torturous, imprisoning symptoms of Parkinson's disease, and who tonight, as I
write these words, is apparently, based on what we saw and were told,
enjoying very substantial and dramatically immediate relief.

To the gentleman (whose name I don't recall) who couragously allowed his
"before, during, and after" condition to be shown on national tv, I send my
heartiest congratulations and heartfelt appreciation for sharing your life
with us.  To Dr. Iacono, keep up the great work, and while the scientific
scrutiny and study of pallidotomies wends its way along its painstakingly
slow and necessarily deliberate path, I say that as long as you can give the
kind of nearly miraculous relief to Parkinson's patients that I saw tonight,
godspeed, keep doing what you're doing, and teach what you're doing to other
physicians.

Best regards,

Larry Allen