Great bit on the pallidotomy this evening.  Took me back two years when I had
mine.  I made a list of my PD problems before the procedure and just
retrieved it from the computer.  I had forgotten how stiff I was as the
stiffness hasn't come back.  Falling down and banging into things was another
listed problem that is still gone - thank goodness.  Tremor of left hand and
leg hasn't returned.  I still have difficulty brushing teeth (so got an
electric toothbrush), fixing a hair-do (so keep hair short), cutting up tough
meat (husband does it for me).  The tremor in my lower lip is still there.
 But considering all the good stuff that still remains I think my right
 pallidotomoy was successful.

Pallidotomy is not a cure  and we know that, but it sure helps.  I am looking
forward to a left pallidotomy next as PD progresses and now I have a pretty
heavy tremor in my right side.

It is good to be cautious but believe us when we say pallidotomy can be a
real relief - and we hope for a  long time.  I only had one side done and I
still feel  lots better than before and its been almost two years.  I can see
where a bilateral pallidotomy would make things even better.

Keep in mind that the procedure has been refined and improved since people
like Margaret Bourke-White had her second one in l961 (it was considered
successful).   It has improved since I had mine.  When I had mine there was
an 8% chance for scotoma (blind spot) and a 0.5% risk of death.  I haven't
heard of any scotomas or deaths recently.

All this recent publicity should help our cause.  Maybe more research money
to find a better treatment, or, dare I say it - a cure?  Let's keep up the
momentum.

Barbara Yacos