PIFrom @ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu:[log in to unmask] Wed Feb
PIFrom:         "Jeffrey R. Romanyshyn" <[log in to unmask]>
PISubject:      Re: childhood illness?
PIComments: To: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network
PI          <[log in to unmask]>
PITo:           Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
PI<[log in to unmask]>

>You wrote:
>

>>I was just wondering today about a subject I've never seen
>>addressed.  From what I've heard, there seems to be an increase
>>in "young-onset" PD.  (I guess "young" is relative; I'm
>>considered young for PD, but still too old to play for the
>>Yankees, even as a replacement player.)  It's unknown why
>>there's this increase, but the most common theory I've seen is
>>that it's caused by things environmental.  Has anyone explored
>>the possibility that there's a connection with some illness we
>>had as children, similar to the connection between PD and the
>>flu of 1918?
>>
>>Charles Barasch ([log in to unmask])
>>

>Good point, Charles.  I made this very point to [log in to unmask] in a
>message on AOL today.  Will check several databases and see if I
PIcome up
>with anything.
>
>Best,
>
>Bob

>>I am 27 with PD.  One of my theories is the stress of the modern world
>>is one cause.
>>Just my two cents worth. :)

Dear Charles,
   I am 52 with PD, DX in '88.  I have been in counseling for stress since
my diagnosis in '88 and have experienced a great deal of symptom relief.  It
has helped me gain control over my life without fear, guilt, or shame (at
least to some degree).
  I feel strongly that even the causes of PD may be related to stress.  It
is becoming accepted that stress causes chemical changes in the brain.
Could enougn stress early enough in life (such as stress related to WWII)
and/or related family issues cause dopamine producing cells to die?  I don't
think it's too far out an idea; besides, no one has a lock yet on what
causes PD.

   I'd like to get your thoughts (or anyone else's).  Thanks for writing.

Rich Morelli