Jerry Finch is an accomplished author as attested to in his letter to Dear
Doctor. Jerry is one of our younger PDers. He currently resides on a small
ranch in SE Texas where he has surrounded himself with horses and various
other domestic animals including a farm pond with ducks and fish. Somehow
he finds the time and energy to care for all this along with his writing in
spite of Parkinson. Following is yet another example of the insight Jerry
has viewing from his position from behind the PD curtain:

Dear Friend,
You haven't been by to see me in quite some time. I wondered about what
happened, if I said something that offended you, so I started asking
around. Word finally got back that you were uncomfortable around me because
of the Parkinson's thing. That's why, instead of calling, I thought I might
write you a note. Maybe I can explain a little better to you about the way
I feel. The last time you came over, I was having a lot of physical
problems. Parkinson's is like that; good for two days, bad for three.
Before you come, call. I'll tell you honestly if I'm up or down. That way
you know what to expect. But don't avoid me. Inside, I am still the same
person I always was. I can still beat you at chess, still out talk you over
religion and politics. I can still laugh at all your jokes, still feel sad
when we talk about some of our lost friends. I'm still me. Don't be afraid
to talk about the things you see. My hands shake, my walk is unsteady. I
know that. It isn't a secret. I'll tell you about what I'm going through,
about the medications and stuff. You need to know so you will feel
comfortable when you see something happen. Parkinson's isn't contagious, it
isn't even life-threating. Chances are, I'll live just as long as you,
although I'm trying for one day longer, just to prove the point. Just
because I've accepted having Parkinson's doesn't mean that I've accepted
defeat. I'm still fighting. But the fighting would be so much easier if you
were around. Why? Because we used to talk about everything and I miss that.
We used to laugh at stupid stuff and I miss that. We used to punch one
another in the arm, work on our cars together, tell lies, talk about kids -
and I miss all of that. We used to get sad together, remembering the things
in the past. We made a vow never to talk about those things outside of our
friendship and I need to talk about them with you. I'm still the same.
Nothing inside has changed, only the outside. That's why you don't need to
feel uncomfortable around me. We've traveled too many miles together to let
something like Parkinson's come between us. So I'm asking you - call me.
Come visit. Let's talk about today, tomorrow, ten years from now, because
the future will be so much richer if you're around, and so much poorer
without you. I might have Parkinson's, but you snore, so I'd say we're
about even. I've missed you. As always, I'll be here for you, waiting for
you to call. ************ Jerry Finch

ED H