Hi.  I'm so glad to get access to this listserver.  I'm 52 yrs. old and have
PD since I was 35.  It has progressed slowly over these 18 years and I have
done pretty well.  I continue to work, raise my family and carry on my life.
 Recently, however, I got a mysterious inflamatory condition in my hip joint
that demolished the joint within about two years.  Then in Sept I had hip
replacement surgery.  The new joint was a standard ball and socket complete
hip.  After  two months it began to dislocate, despite a very "stable  joint"
.  It seems that the vissisitudes of slowness, dyskenesia, and dystonia
destabilized it.  After four dislocations, I had a second surgery to install
a captured cup joint.  It is now almost three months and I'm still in tact.
 After the first surgery I was still in pretty good physical condition.
 After the second, I have had to wear a brace and keep weigth off the leg.
 This has resulted in a great loss of physical strength and atrophy of my hip
and leg muscels.  I plan to get my strength back over time with excercise and
circumspection, but it seems to me that PD Patients should always be given
the captured cup as standard proceedure.
     I have not been able to find any other YPD with experience in this.
There are a couple of articles on the subject of hip replacements in PD
patients who have had fractures which I got with help from  the  Med-line,
and another person on aol.  If anyone else has had experience with this I
would really appreciate a reply.

     I'm so glad to have this  access, because I think there are lots of
things about PD that patients know, that the doctors either don;t know or
aren't saying because they don't have research evidence to support what to
them is anecdotal.  Still we need to know.  I spent a year suffering from
migraines, because my neurologist didn't or wouldn't tell me, what another
doctor finally told me, that Sinemet can interact with Estrogen (Premarin) to
cause migraines.  AFter that I used the Estrogen patch and everything was
fine!
     Thanks Barbara Patterson.
                                                     Claudia Elliott