You wrote:

>There was a posting the other day about fava beans and dopamine.
>I checked some of my seed catalogs and found that Johnny's
>offers "Loreta" favas (which are said to be not an English
>variety), and Stokes offers "Toto," "Broad Windsor Long Pod,"
>and "Aquadulce."  I called both companies, and neither knew
>whether theirs had any relation to the Vicia type mentioned on
>this network.  Someone at Johnny's did tell me that there had
>recently been a lot of calls about favas because of "something
>medical on the internet;" he told me that he'd referred someone
>to a fava research center in, he believed, Washington state, but
>he thought it didn't exist anymore, anyway.  Rather than
>starting my own research, I thought I'd ask if anyone has
>already checked out the fava varieties I've mentioned.  Another
>question: do all favas have some dopamine, even if it's not as
>much as in the Vicia type?
>
>As a last question, has anyone ever eaten or tried to grow favas?
>I've never tried them; regardless of the dopamine, I'll plant
>some in my garden if they taste good and they'll grow in Vermont.
>
>Charlie Barasch

There has been indeed, some information reporting that fava beans (Vicia
faba) contain L-DOPA (not Dopamine).  A few studies from Singapore and
elsewhere have suggested that eating fava beans *may* improve the
symptoms of PD.  If this is due to the L-DOPA, then it is no different
than taking medication (and the amount of L-DOPA in fava beans varies).

There are people, usually of Mediterranean ancestry, who lack an enzyme,
glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD); if they eat fava beans, they
will develop a severe anemia (breaks down red cells) which can be fatal.
 There is a test to determine the presence of this enzyme (expensive),
but unless one is sure that they are not lacking this enzyme, one should
be careful about eating fava beans.  The condition, called "Favism" is
not all that rare.

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"