My Mother, 55, had a very stressful last 6 months of 1994.  A couple of
close friends died, her brother spent several months in a coma and then
died, and two brother-in-laws died.  In addition, a couple of close family
members and some close friends were all admitted to the hospital for various
problems.  For the last 90 days of his life, she, my father, and her sister,
shared 24-hour nursing duty for one of the dying brother-in-laws.  All three
lost weight, had little sleep, and didn't eat well.

Near the end of this 6-month time frame, my Mother's head begin to shake.
We noticed it before she did, but finally she would notice it when it was at
its worst.  The shaking is not constant but comes and goes.  It often occurs
when she is reading or holding her head in a particular position.

Following a series of tests over a 90-day time frame, her neurologist is
convinced she has PD.  She would like to believe that it is simply a stress
induced problem that will go away.  Have there been any studies relating
stress and the onset of PD symptoms?

>>>I am 27 with PD.  One of my theories is the stress of the modern world
>>>is one cause.
>>>Just my two cents worth. :)
>

>Dear Charles,
>   I am 52 with PD, DX in '88.  I have been in counseling for stress since
>my diagnosis in '88 and have experienced a great deal of symptom relief.  It
>has helped me gain control over my life without fear, guilt, or shame (at
>least to some degree).
>  I feel strongly that even the causes of PD may be related to stress.  It
>is becoming accepted that stress causes chemical changes in the brain.
>Could enougn stress early enough in life (such as stress related to WWII)
>and/or related family issues cause dopamine producing cells to die?  I don't
>think it's too far out an idea; besides, no one has a lock yet on what
>causes PD.
>
>   I'd like to get your thoughts (or anyone else's).  Thanks for writing.
>
>Rich Morelli

*  Jerry Lovett, [log in to unmask]                                *
*  Schlumberger Industries / Water Division                     *
*  Highway 229 South                                            *
*  Tallassee, AL  36078                                         *
*  334-283-7422                                                 *