You wrote:

>I have been following the pallidotomy debates on this list with great
interest,
>and last night my mother, who has had PD for 6 years, called me to ask
my
>opinion on it (the recent TV coverage alerted her to the
>possibility that this is something real and not just another dry hope).
>
>I am anxious to help her pursue the pallidotomy option, but am unsure
where to
>refer her (her neurologist may be helpful, or not, we will see).
First,
>it seems that the experience of the surgeon in this operation is
crucial.
>I noted that the Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia is "starting" to
>perform these operations, but I would
>greatly prefer that we approach someone with as much experience as
possible.
>Is there someone in the New Jersey area (New York or Philadelphia,
perhaps) we
>could turn to?  Someone like Cosgrave at Mass General, who has done
many?
>(Where IS Loma Linda, anyway?)
>
>Secondly, I remain unclear as to the eligibility of older people with
PD who are
>having cognitive problems, perhaps but not surely from the Sinamet.  My
mom is
>73, and I posted a message earlier about all her troubles
(hallucinations,
>memory loss, confusion).  These are erratic, however; she has her clear
days.
>Are surgeons more likely to reject such candidates?  Perhaps this is
>unanswerable in this list.
>
>I also have a feeling there will be flood of requests for this
operation once
>it has hit all the major networks, and a proliferation of doctors
performing
>it.  Trying not to get worried about "beating the crush"...
>
>Rejoicing for Aviva's success, and the very warmest wishes for her
continued
>recovery and new freedom. And deepest gratitude for the inspiration and
>invaluable information (the now-famous telephone survey from Israel),
>which has helped bring word of this new hope to so many ... and
apparently
>launched a nationwide media blitz!!
>
>Virginia Tilley  [log in to unmask]

Check out Dr. Patrick Kelly at NYU (New York City).  Loma Linda is in
Southern California, south of Los Angeles.

Best,

Bob

--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"