Hi
I have been on the Cabergoline clinical trial since January 1993.
 Cabergoline is a D-2 Receptor Agonist.  I take 4.5 mg/day (morning only).
 Significant reduction in the off/on of drugs during the day. ( The clinical
trial did stipulate that you could not have previously taken other agonists,
i.e. Permax or Parlodel).

I am extremely pleased with the Cabergoline.  Only side effects that I
experienced was nausea for about 4 months and some increase in hot flushes
(female, age 50).  The drug really did seem to play havoc with my replacement
estrogen for about 4 months and then  symptoms gradually subsided and more or
less disappeared after six months.  My off time was as much as 60-70% when I
started the trial.   It is now about 30% on good days.......however, the lows
are not as low as before drug and the ons are higher.

The drug was started at .5mg/day and increased by .5 mg every two to three
weeks (blind study for first 6 months placebo/vs. real drug).  My side
effects started at about 2 weeks, but by 3 weeks, I could notice some
decrease in muscle rigidity....I just felt freer movement.  I do not recall
if my tremor control is Sinamet or cabergoline.....however, I do have fairly
good control with medications at the present time.

I do not know how soon the drug will be released to the open market.  My
neuro commented on my last visit that all of the reports are coming in  quite
positive on the clinical trial and it appears that it may be the drug of
choice when released on the open market.  Just consider myself very lucky to
have had it for the past 2+ years.

Drug trial:  started at University of Nebraska Med Center (Ronald Pfeiffer,
MD).  Since Dr. P moved to Memphis, trial is monitored by John Bertoni, MD,
and will soon  be moved to Creighton University  (Omaha, NE) where Dr. B
heads up the neurology program
Daily:  5 Sinamet CR 50/200's;  4.5 mg Cabergoline; 2 Eldepryl
(and .625 Premarin (Estrogen replacement - considered the odds of worsening
of PD vs. benefits to heart and bone and decided to stay with the Estrogen).
Rita Weeks      [log in to unmask]