I just got this info about an alternative medicine WWW page, so I'm passing it
along.  I know I intend to explore it and check out what it's got on PD.
Wendy T

From: Holistic Discussion Group on Thu, Mar 9, 1995 5:40 AM
Subject: HOLISTIC Digest - 7 Mar 1995 to 8 Mar 1995
To: Recipients of HOLISTIC digests

Topics of the day:

  1. PRESS RELEASE: NATURAL MEDICINE ON THE INTERNET

Date:    Tue, 7 Mar 1995 23:02:14 -0800
From:    AMR'TA <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: PRESS RELEASE: NATURAL MEDICINE ON THE INTERNET

PRESS RELEASE: NATURAL MEDICINE ON THE INTERNET

********************************
CONTACT: ELLA ROGGOW or MITCHELL STARGROVE (503/228-6851)

********************************
NATURAL HEALTH SERVICES AVAILABLE ON INTERNET.

Natural Medicine, Complementary Health Care And Alternative Therapies
http://www.teleport.com:80/~amrta

        AMR'TA, a pioneering organization that two years ago released
the most comprehensive data-base software package available in the
natural medicine field, has just opened three new health information
services on the Internet.
        The medical research and teaching organization now offers two
home pages on the World Wide Web providing a broad array of
information on natural medicine for both general and professional
audiences.  In addition, a new mailing list opens a fresh forum for
discussion among health professionals.
        The first website, "Natural Medicine, Complementary Health
Care and Alternative Therapies,"  is a place to access health
information as well as reference health organizations, medical
institutions and other health resources available on Internet.  The
site's Internet address is http://www.teleport.com:80/~amrta.
        The second website provides introductory information on the
pioneering AMR'TA software program, IBIS, the Interactive
BodyMind Information System.  That Internet home page can be
reached at http://www.teleport.com:80/~ibis.
        A third new service, PARACELSUS, is a mailing list aimed at
promoting communication, cooperation and exploration among
health care professionals. Subscription is limited to practitioners,
educators, researchers and students in alternative and conventional
medical fields. The list is intended to focus on interesting cases,
practical clinical pearls, recent publications, useful anecdotes and
medical news.
        "We all have unique experiences, different perspectives and
valid insights. No one has all the answers," commented Dr. Mitchell
Stargrove, Research and Education Coordinator of AMR'TA.
"We can serve our patients best and advance the evolution of the
healing arts and medical science best by working together, sharing
ideas and being willing to learn," the naturopathic physician continued.
        Those wishing to participate in PARACELSUS should send a e-
mail message to <[log in to unmask]>, reading "subscribe
paracelsus". As part of the subscription approval process, send a
biographical note indicating training, practice and interests to
        AMR'TA, the Alchemical Medicine Research and Teaching
Association, is a nonprofit institution formed by a group of health
professionals in 1987 to investigate natural medicine and provide
education integrating a wide range of therapies. In 1993  the
organization released the IBIS software package.  More than 100
medical professionals spent four years compiling and editing IBIS.
        The result is the most comprehensive software package
available in the natural health field. Hypertexted for easy and quick
cross-referencing, the 10,000-page data base covers 282 common
medical conditions, and offers treatments from more than 16
systems of conventional and natural medicine.  Among them are
acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine, homeopathy, naturopathic
medicine, psychospiritual approaches and various techniques of
physical manipulation and exercise.  IBIS includes detailed
information on 120 herbs, and dosage information on more than 300.
        Medical professionals from across the world now employ IBIS.
Its users are represented in all regions of the U.S. and dozens of
nations, among them Germany, Brazil, Sri Lanka, China,
Egypt  and Saudi Arabia.  Both IBM-compatible and Macintosh
versions are available. IBIS is available only to health care
professionals; tools for the general public are in development.
        IBIS is published by GAIA Multimedia Inc.  U.S. sales
information is available toll-free at (800)627-6851 weekdays 9 a.m.-
5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.
E-mail is for AMR'TA is [log in to unmask] and for
IBIS is [log in to unmask]

In the spirit of health, exploration and cooperation,
the staff of
AMR'TA: the Alchemical Medicine and Teaching Association
(a non-profit organization dedicated to the evolution and refinement
of the science of medicine and the art of healing)
PO Box 14641, Portland, OR  97214  USA
503/228-6851      fax: 503/228-6904