I've been lurking on this list for a few weeks now, impressed with the
compassionate and "take care of business" attitude reflected by all
concerned. Since I have a question, an introduction is in order.

I, Karin, am on this list on behalf of my mother, LaVerne,  77 this week.
(Diagnosed four years ago, takes Eldepryl.) She has a pronounced, increasing
left-side arm tremor. Her gait is smooth but very slow, and her balance is
fragile. Her handwriting degenerates after a line or two, to her regret. She
lives alone (my brother is a few blocks away), and still drives herself to
grocery store and doctor.  I send her everything I learn from this list (I
live almost a thousand miles away.)  Here's my question:

Two years ago LaVerne participated in trials of a new drug, possibly
pramipexole, but I'm not sure. To her enormous disappointment she had to quit
the trial only a few weeks into it. She had begun having frightening, vivid
hallucinations (strangers in her home, fantastic characters standing around
her bed, etc.). Although the docs told us that "some PD patients just get
hallucinations," the suddenness of onset convinced us that medication was to
blame. Sure enough, when she went off the trial drug the hallucinations
stopped completely, just as suddenly as they began.

Her doctor feels that her dramatic reaction to the trial drug  means she's at
risk for the same side effect if she were to take Sinemet. Can anyone out
there tell me about the risk/benefit ratio of Sinemet in a patient who has
reacted to previous drugs in this manner (i.e., hallucinations in a normally
lucid person)? Anyone out there have the same experience with a trial drug?
Thanks in advance.