Hello Howard,

I too have been lurking on this list for a while.  I did send a message
of introduction and my Mother has had experiences similar to your father.
They
are calling her condition Parkinson's Syndrome which I understand to be
defined as one having the symptoms of PD but not the disease, but she has
also been treated with Sinemet for the past 2 years.  She has no tremor,
but has lost her sense of smell with accompanying loss of appetite,
bradykinesia, festination, rigidity, teeny handwriting, and extreme fatigue.
She is in
Salem, Oregon near my sister and is seeing a new neurologist who has
scheduled her for an MRI etc. next week.  I hope we learn more soon about
her prognosis from these tests.
Her most serious problems are mental.  She has no short term memory and
suffers a lot from confusion and the inability to remember or think
clearly.  She does remember long- ago events and personalitites.  She has
lost the ability to make memories, and that part is very sad for us all.

I am here in Boone, NC, very far away from Mother and, like you, am trying
to make some sense out of a puzzling diagnosis.  Her doctor told me last
summer when I visited in Calif. (I moved them to Oregon while there) that
her dementia could be expected to worsen until she wouldn"t recognize us
anymore and we should prepare for that.  They don't know if Alzheimer's
also is present, but the symptoms are the same.  I don't understand what
the long term prognosis is for a person with Parkinson's Syndrome as
opposed to the Disease. This would be good to find out.  Maybe someone on
the list can answer that one.  We were told to expect the worst because
of her mental condition and we wonder if the Sinemet doesn't aggravate
her cognition problems.  Plus, if she doesn't have PD, why does Sinemet help?

I wish you and your family well.  I was glad to hear that someone else
was in the dark about this.

Melony Winkelmann
Boone, NC