>I have a friend who is unable to sleep nights because of the
>zapping pain and discomfort of RLS at night time.

To all:
There is a recent publication about Restless Legs Syndrome which suggest
that in part, the symptoms result for damage of the nerve axons in the legs
(Peripheral Axon Neuropathy). Although technical, the paper may be of
interest to some of you.

Iannaccone S, Zucconi M, Marchettini P, et al. (1995)  Evidence of
peripheral axonal neuropathy in primary restless legs syndrome.  Movement
Disorders, Vol 10(1):2-9.

Anne